St. Luke Lutheran Church was started in 1902 with a group of seven families worshiping in a home. By the blessing of the Holy Spirit, the congregation continued to expand, outgrowing several rented facilities along the way. In the fall of 1912, the congregation was large enough to afford a building of their own. They constructed a church in Nunica, a growing farming and mining community.
By the early 1950s, Nunica was in decline, but St. Luke continued to grow. For their 50th anniversary, the congregation built its present church building, dedicating it near the end of 1952. More than 1,000 people attended the two dedication services that morning.
Since then, St. Luke has continued to proclaim the Good News about Jesus throughout Nunica and all of western Michigan. By God's grace, we intend to continue to do so.